Friday, March 03, 2006

Attitude towards injury

I think one of the stories that best describes my father's attitude toward injuries came about when I was 6 years old. It was the day of my sister's 5th birthday, so we even have a video of the event.
My friends and I used to ride our bikes around the neighborhood, and there was a certain field close to my house that had a bike jump on the edge of it. I had never really tried to get air off the jump before, although I had ridden over it just for fun. On this occasion, however, I wanted to show off for the video camera.
So I rode towards the jump as fast as my little legs could get me moving. Just as I came off the jump, my feet fell off the pedals and my legs flew out to the side. I crashed pretty bad, and had dirt all over my nice dress-up shirt and up my nose and everything. Instead of rushing over to comfort his 5-year-old, my dad came trotting over, helped me up, and immediately started telling me what I did wrong. Just before the video fades to the next scene you can hear him saying "You just have to keep your feet on the pedals!" as I rode toward the jump again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home